Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

Child age 2 had glue ear which is now resolved. Teachers at

Customer Question

Child age 2 had glue ear which is now resolved. Teachers at his nursery are concerned as he doesn't like being touched, doesn't like taking his coat off and does things like spinning a scooters wheel. Apart from spinning the wheel, all other behaviour the teachers see st school he doesn't do at home. Keep in mind he has just started nursery 3 weeks ago and has still not settled in and he has a speech delay due to glue ear but he is picking up words now
JA: Has the child used any medication for glue ear?
Customer: No he had grommets inserted and adenoid removed
JA: Got it. Has he seen a doctor about glue ear?
Customer: We are under a ent consultant, due to see him for follow up appt at end of the month
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in his medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: He likes to put things in his mouth and drools quite a bit which we thought might have been related to glue ear
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
My main concern is whether he is on autism spectrum or whether it is due to glue ear?
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 16 days ago.
Good evening, thank you for contacting us this evening. I am Dr RuffI would suggest it is too early to suggest there is any concern, certainly when these behaviours do not occur at home.With a speech delay, there can sometimes be reduced tone around the mouth which can be a cause to dribbling more often. If you think this persists for the next few months then I would consider getting Speech and Language therapy.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have read spinning wheels are a sign of autism, but is that always the case?
It can be, but it can also be normal. However it these behaviours are not at home, then I would not be concerned