DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I need to speak to someone about veneral disease, I have

Customer Question

I need to speak to someone about veneral disease
JA: How long have you had the venereal disease? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: I have taken a dose of antibiotics last week as a precaution but this week I am developing symptoms
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the venereal disease?
Customer: Yes. It was too early for tests to detect and they said that as a precaution I could take the antibiotics which I did but I am scared they're not working
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: NoCustomer: Chat is completed
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 11 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please explain the exact situation

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I had sexual contact with a stranger and believe I have exposed myself to an STD. As a precaution last Friday I took a dose of azithromycin and cefixime. Yesterday I started feeling discomfort around my genitals and my testicles are swollen. Should I take Doxycyline instead?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I prefer to chat on here if that's ok

Thanks for the details

You should go to an sexual health clinic and get a test first of all

After giving sample you can take Doxycycline

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
If I start taking Doxycyline will it affect the azithromycin and cefixime I already took?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
how soon should I start taking Doxycyline?

No it will not but still you need a test as well

After giving sample you can start it right away

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you. What are the chances of a test reporting a false negative?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Because they told me I need to wait two weeks after the exposure for tests to be reliable. If I test after two weeks and it is negative, would this be reliable?

Very less as you have symptoms so the test is likely to be positive

Yes if after two weeks it is still negative then it is quite a reliable one

But for HIV you will need a repeat test at 4 weeks too

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Doctor I'm extremely anxious. Why am I developing symptoms after taking such a strong course of antibiotics?

No need to worry it can happen

You should arrange for a test at the earliest

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is it possible to develop symptoms after taking the antibiotics but they are still going to work?

Yes it can happen but as I said as you have developed symptoms now you must go for a test

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok. Thank you.

You are welcome