Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I’m a little bit paranoid because I read recently about DVT

Customer Question

Hi, I’m a little bit paranoid because I read recently about DVT and I have been experiencing some shin pain that I can’t really explain
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I had some pain in the right side of my foot for the past maybe 5 days but this morning I woke up and the pain was on the right of my shin bone. It’s come and gone a bit throughout the day, doesn’t seem to worsen at any specific time
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 14 days ago.

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff. Thank you for contacting us this evening. I am just reviewing your question.

Thank you for your question. DVT implies a deep vein thrombosis, you cannot get this on the anterior leg as there is no deep vein here. This is more likely shin splints. Unless there are changes overlying the shin itself.

DVTs present with calf swelling and deep pain, sometimes with swelling of the ankle.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay that is very reassuring.
The pain isn’t bad at all, more like achey and kind of comes and goes - I just found it odd that it started in the morning after a night of rest. Is this usual for shin splints? My worry was exacerbated by the fact that I had unexplained pain in my foot before the leg pain started, is this most likely nothing to worry about?

Shin splints would often come on walking only. If it is achey then this implies inflammation. I would see how it is tomorrow, if it continues, use a topical anti-inflammatory gel for a few days. If there is any leg swelling, then get someone to have a look.

I do not think this is anything to worry about.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay thank you. I’ll keep an eye on it

That is my pleasure, take care.