Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

My upper back area between shoulder blades and just below

Customer Question

My upper back area between shoulder blades and just below back of neck really hurts. When I bend down I feel clicking sensation, muscles really ache and pinching sensation
JA: How long have you been dealing with the neck pain? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: For two weeks. No numbness or tingling
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.
The answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

What is your age?

What are the investigations and treatments done?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I’m 31, no investigations done I have been using paracetamol, ibuprofen and ibuprofen gel

Thanks for the further information.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5-10 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

This is very likely to be the myofascial trigger point. This can be associated with degenerative disc disease in the neck. Trigger points may develop after an initial injury to muscle fibers. This injury may be a noticeable traumatic event or repetitive microtrauma to the muscles. The trigger point causes pain and stress in the muscle or muscle fiber. As the stress increases, the muscles become fatigued and more susceptible to activation of additional trigger points. When predisposing factors combine with a triggering stress event, the activation of a trigger point occurs. The myofascial trigger point is a hyperirritable spot, usually within a taut band of skeletal muscle or in the muscle fascia which is painful on compression. The treatment is following;

1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant

2) physiotherapy

3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation

4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)

6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points

7) massage

8) steroid shots

9) acupuncture.

10) Lidocaine skin patches.

I am glad for the opportunity to answer your question.

I hope this interaction is helpful to you.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to as

sist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.