Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I believe I might have contracted scabbies, I covered myself

Customer Question

Hi I believe I might have contracted scabbies, I covered myself in permethrin cream two weeks but the itching has still continued? I have washed everything and cleaned everywhere.
JA: What are all your symptoms? Have you talked to a doctor about scabies?
Customer: no I havent spoke to a doctor. I had what looks like bite marks on my hand arm pit, and stomach. the bites seem to have dried up but the itching has continued
JA: Got it. When was your last doctor visit? What did you discuss?
Customer: havent been to a doctor in about a year
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 13 days ago.

I am sorry for your symptoms.

Your description suggests the diagnosis of scabies.

Following are the steps of the treatment for the resistant cases;

1) All household members and close personal contacts older than 2 months and not pregnant should be treated for scabies, even if they have no symptoms or signs of infestation.

2) Crusted scabies may require repeated applications of oral ivermectin and a local agent, permethrin.

3) Crusted scabies need removal of excess scale in order to allow penetration of the topical scabicidal agent and decrease the burden of infestation. This can be achieved with warm water soaks followed by the application of 5% salicylic acid in petrolatum or Lac-Hydrin cream.

4) Videodermatoscopy can be used to enhance the monitoring of clinical response to scabies treatment and allows for optimal timing of drug application.

5) Itching may persist for up to a month, even following successful treatment. Itching alleviated with an oral antihistamine, such as hydroxyzine hydrochloride, diphenhydramine hydrochloride, or cyproheptadine hydrochloride.

6) A scabicidal agent, such as permethrin, lindane, or ivermectin, is administered to destroy S scabiei mites.

You should seek a referral for a dermatologist.

I am glad for the opportunity to answer your question.

I hope this interaction is helpful to you.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.