Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

I have recently been feeling a real mix of emotions, more

Customer Question

i have recently been feeling a real mix of emotions, more than normal. i have had alot going on such as a break up of relationship, a poorly relative and i have quit smoking. but not on top of the feelings i have been unable to sleep and it is starting to effect me day to day.
JA: Have you spoken to a mental health professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Got it. Has this been a chronic issue? Or does it come and go?
Customer: its been over the last few weeks, i have been spending money to make myself feel better etc and i just believe if i could sleep better my moods would improve so much better
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: on my paternal side my grandmother had bipolar, also my uncle.
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer. Good day to you, I am Dr, Gupta. I'm board-certified with over 20 years experience. I have been reviewing your concern and I very much would like to help. The computer system will generate a phone call request if that is something you would like to consider as well. Otherwise, I am happy to chat with you here too.
Kind regards,

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Doctor,
i am happy to chat on here unless you feel a phone call is needed?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
i cant really talk at the moment as i am at work
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
on the phone i mean
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 9 days ago.

I am very comfortable chatting on the text messaging.

I am genuinely sorry to hear about your problems, these can cause havoc in your life in they remain unchecked,

A lack of sleep suggests that this is more than a passing low mood,

I would recommend that we look at this in a long term holistic way,

Trying to focus on different things like meditation, music, having a break up buddy, breathing exercises, following ahobby and most importantly exercising can all help with this riot of emotions that you are experiencing,

Sleep-aids can be considered for short term use, but I would not use them right now as they may lead to a feeling of dependence in some people.

Again if these measures do not work, you should certainly contact a mental health counselor online or offline, as the need may be,

You can get some more information about dealing with your current situation here

https://www.anxiety.org/dealing-with-a-break-up

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/laugh-cry-live/201208/coping-distress-and-agony-after-break

You are a strong and wonderful person, and this does not define you in anyway :)

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer. I hope I have given you a satisfactory answer. If you have any follow up questions, please reply here and I'll be happy to assist you.
Warm Regards,
Dr. Gupta, MD

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
can you recommend a sleep aid? im just at my wits end with my ever changing moods! my impulsiveness just gets worse too.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
its not the breakup thats the biggest problem as leaving that relationship has made me happier, its the stress that follows such as the moving house etc im struggling with the lack of sleep more now than when the insomnia first started as i am wide awake at night and most of the day until the afternoon and then i feel exhausted and then it passes by the time i get in bed
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 9 days ago.

Sure,

Here are few medications that are non addicting, that are used for sleep
Rozerem- this stimulates melatonin released from your brain
Trazadone- this is an antidepressant, But is also used for sleep. It is non-addictive.
Both of these medications are prescription.

FOr a non-prescription medicine I usually recommend MELATONIN as it can help you wake up refreshed, talk to your local pharmacy about this,

Let me know if I can be of further help,
Warm regards

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
ok, thanks
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 9 days ago.

I am glad I was able to help. Have a great day.
Warm Regards,
Dr. Gupta, MD
To directly contact me for your next question, please use this link or ask for me directly.
https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-gupta/