Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

I keep getting a constantly low temperature reading on

Customer Question

Hi I keep getting a constantly low temperature reading on multiple devices been the same for around 6 months. My temp ranges from 94 to 96 on average. I am using an in ear thermometer. Is this normal
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 6 days ago.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer. Good day to you, I am Dr, Gupta. I'm board-certified with over 20 years experience. I have been reviewing your concern and I very much would like to help. The computer system will generate a phone call request if that is something you would like to consider as well. Otherwise, I am happy to chat with you here too.
Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Is this normal to have this sort of temp long term
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 6 days ago.

I can understand that you are worried about these multiple low readings. Normal body temperature is not a single number, but rather a range of temperatures. The average normal body temperature is most often said to be 98.6° F (37° C). This may have been correct when it was first determined 150 years ago. But our bodies have changed.

More recent research suggests that the average adult body temperature is about one degree lower, 97.5° F (36.4° C). Older adults often have an even lower body temperature without it indicating any health problems.

However, recent studies indicate that 98.2° F (36.8°C) is a more accurate average, and in older individuals it may be about 1°F lower. One small study even suggested that in healthy older patients, body temperature ranged from 94° F to 99.6° F, with an average of 97.7° F.

You can read more here

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/when-is-body-temperature-too-low

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer. I hope I have given you a satisfactory answer. If you have any follow up questions, please reply here and I'll be happy to assist you.
Warm Regards,
Dr. Gupta, MD