Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DNB
19010125

I can feel a small, painless, pea-sized moveable bump in my

I can feel a small, painless, pea-sized moveable bump in my right armpit only and not my left armpit. Should I be concerned? Is this normal?
JA: How long have you had the bump? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: I'm not sure how long its been there as I've never felt my armpits in that way before I'm really scared
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the bump?
Customer: No not yet as I have to wait to be registered at the doctors before I can start booking appointments
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: My grandmother passed away from breast cancer and thats about it

Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Kruti , I am a specialist in the field and I will be happy to help.

I am sorry to hear about your concern and I would try my best to allay your worries.

I will be glad to assist you today and will try my best to give you an answer that is helpful.

The answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

I would like to inform that we are not allowed to prescribe any medications on the site , I can surely give you my recommendations about your concern.

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:-

Usually skin conditions are best diagnosed if its possible to see them , so it gives me a clearer picture of what the problem is. Hence I would like to request you to please send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?

Please send a picture in jpeg/jpg or png format. You can send it as an attachment here, using the paper clip sign on the toolbar , just above the space where we are typing or using the add files next to the send button. Or alternatively you can upload them on google photos and send me the link.

In case, its not possible for you to send a picture, I can understand, please do let me know. I will surely try to still help you out.

Thanks. Regards

Dr. Kruti

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
My armpit is quite hairy and is difficult to both see and feel for

Ok no worries.

I will try to help you without a picture.

please allow me 10- 15 mins to type down my recommendations, so that I could help you in the best possible way.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
ok thanks

Thanks for your patience.

I can understand your worry.

From the information that you provided , it seems to be a lymph node. There is nothing to worry about. These can be felt even when there is a slight inflammation/ infection in the underarms or around that area. They usually resolve on their own. there is nothing to worry, they are felt many times without any serious pathology.

I would suggest not to worry about it, but to treat it instead.

It will get better with treatment.

The size of the lymph node is considered more than normal when it is felt to be more than a pea size. Then depending on the site one judges the severity. its not uncommon for lymph nodes to be inflamed. it can happen due to a variety of causes. any irritation or infection in an area too can cause lymph nodes in that region to swell, they are the filters, the sentries. but usually with the treatment , it goes back to normal. If it does not then it needs investigation.

I would recommend the intake of Tab. Tylenol once a day for 5 days, it will help to reduce the inflammation.

Also you can give warm compresses over it once a day with the help of a cloth dipped in warm water.

If it does not help within a couple of days, you will need an oral antibiotic like Cap. Augmentin. But that will require a prescription from your doctor. Hence I recommend seeing a doctor for the same.

Please let me know if you have any queries.

Hope my recommendations are helpful.

Take care

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you very much I do appreciate this

You are welcome. Take care.

Wishing a speedy resolution of your concern. I will be glad to assist you in case you have any queries.

Have a great day.

Dr. Kruti

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I'm still happy to send a picture if not a video for a better insight?

sure, you could send a picture. no worries.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
File attached (Q6PLPQ4)
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
can i also say that i felt it last night when my period started so may that have something to do with it?

Honestly I can not appreciate anything due to the hair. I am sorry about that.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I am happy to jump into the shower real quick and shave that side if you'll have to wait

It may or may not have had something to do with your period, that is a little difficult to say. but that is a possibility.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I'll be between 10-15 minutes in the shower

you can definitely send the photo, I am logging out for a few hours, once I login again, I will surely reply back.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
ok sounds good, I'll do that then speak later and thank you

Sure , definitely.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
File attached (675V1PZ)

thanks for your reply.

It probably is a lymph node. It does not look like an infection or a cyst. However, it can be established as to what it is only on examination. But I would recommend that if the above measures do not help at all, then you would need to visit a doctor who can examine it an opine as to what it is.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok thank you very much that'll be all thanks