DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I am a woman and find that after intercourse I get cystitis

Customer Question

Hello, I am a young woman and find that after sexual intercourse I get cystitis 99% of the time after. I drink 3L of water a day and urinate before and after but this does not seem to be making any difference. This has been the case since becoming sexually active. I had an operation last year for other things but they did advise my bladder looked healthy. Researching online states that there could be an underlying issue with my urethra or that it’s advisable to take a small dose of antibiotic regularly, I would like some advise if possible?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Sertraline 100mg, not allergic to anything
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: The operation found that when I’m on my period some menstrual blood collects in my stomach, that was all they found
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 13 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

I would suggest that you do see urologist

You can get benefit from a probiotic and Cranberry pill or juice

Chronic cystitis can be a possibility and you may get benefit from antibiotic in low dose for 4-6 weeks

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your answer, how may I go about seeing a urologist?

Your GP can refer you

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your help

You are welcome