How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 29707
Experience:  MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now

Started about 3 and a half weeks ago as a kind of smaller

Customer Question

Started about 3 and a half weeks ago as a kind of smaller 'spot'/trapped hair or bite and was tender like a spot initially and since, after some attempted squeezing, it has spread out and flattened a bit into more of a patch but feels like it is inflamed and slightly deeper like a boil underneath. I have scarring on my face just above it due to a similar thing on my face about 17 years ago and was told that could have been a type of shingles?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?
Customer: 3 and galf weeks no other no
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (LQ626LL)
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 days ago.

Hi there,
I am an experienced Medical Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Is it itchy?

Looks like hypertrophic scar.

You can try topical steroid cream like triamcinolone twice daily.

Do you
Best wishes,
Please reply back if you need any further clarification.
It was my pleasure to help you today.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
But my skin was completely normal before this came up 3 and a half weeks ago? There was no scar there before. Im worried its skin cancer or something? It has gotten worse in the past week, spread and raised. But not itchy but a tiny bit tender to touch.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 days ago.

Unlikely but you need to see a dermatologist for further evaluation.

Another possibility can be folliculitis or infection of the hair follicles.

You can try topical antibiotic clindamycin cream daily --can be combined with steroid as well.