How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Osula Your Own Question
Anthony Osula
Anthony Osula, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 631
Experience:  MB ChB DRCOG
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Anthony Osula is online now

I have a inflamed patch on my scalp with raised pus filled

This answer was rated:

hi there, I have a inflamed patch on my scalp with raised pus filled lumps. It is very painful. I am currently not registered with a doctor as I am moving house, however I popped into the pharmacy to show them and they advised I needed to see a doctor as it looks infected. Please can you advise? I can share an image if needed
JA: When did the lumps first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: I felt it appear on Tuesday, however initially thought it was psoriasis as I have suffered with this before but had my partner take a look lat night (it is at the back of the head) and discovered it was something else
JA: Got it. When was your last visit to a dermatologist?
Customer: I havent visited one before
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: I recently got test results back for hormones and it showed my luteinising hormone as out of range. Reading was 14.3 IU/L - not sure if it could be linked? I also suffer with many other symptoms

Thansk for your query, this does sound like an infected scalp, please send me some pics and I can advise on what you need to do

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi there, I've just attached an image now

Thanks for posting the pics, you have folliculitis of the scalp caused by bacterial infection in the hair follicles

You'll benefit from hibiscrub solution to wash your scalp which is avaialble over the counter

If the rash is localised, then you can get fucidin or fucibet antibiotic cream, but this is only on prescription

if its widespread rash, then oral antibioitcs such as flucloxacillin would helo

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok thank you. Do you know how I can get a prescription as I am not currently registered at a doctors as am moving house? Also, do you know how something like this would of started?

Can start if the scalp is sweaty or not washed in a while of if too oily and the pores get blocked

Yoy can google 'online pharmacy' for prescription

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
ok thank you. Thanks very much for your help!

No worries

Anthony Osula and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you