Dr.Andrew
Dr.Andrew, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Physician,Doctor, medical consultant
75931320

What causes period arriving early and when to seek doctors

What causes period arriving early and when to seek doctors advice?

Welcome back to Justanswer.website,

My name is***** am happy to assist you today with your question.

I'm reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.

Dear customer

I am sorry to hear about your problem but please do not worry. I will try my best to resolve this issue.

Please give me a little more information and I will help you figure out with a solution.

May I know your age?

What is the date of the first day of your last menstrual period (LMP)?

What was the expected date of your period?

Are you having periods now?

Are you taking any hormone pills?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Age 45
My last cycle was*****earlier than my normal 27 says.
Now i am on day 17 and experiencing period discomfort. No period yet though.
No hormonal contraception or medication

Dear customer

Thank you for providing the details.

Please wait & be online. I am typing your answer now.

Dear customer,

Thank you for staying online

I am sorry to hear about your problem and I can understand how uncomfortable you may be feeling but hopefully, we can resolve this.

The symptoms you have described of having a period arriving early can most likely due to perimenopause (PMS)

Women normally go through perimenopause between ages 45 and 55. Menopause officially occurs when you have not had a period for one year.

Your symptoms are suggestive of peri-menopause.

In the coming months, you may notice some more changes in your periods like heavy, prolonged bleeding, irregularity, or light period, or missed periods. These are normal changes in the menstrual cycle before they completely stop due to menopause.

There is no "normal" and definite pattern of bleeding during perimenopause, and it varies from woman to woman.

So you may notice these & other changes for the next few of your cycles.

There is nothing to worry about or of concern here.

If you feel any major discomfort-then you need to see your doctor.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

I am available to answer any follow-up questions that you may have so please feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I read that age of menopause is inherited from mother. My mother was 52. My sister aged 46 does not experience any changes yet.Could there be other factor?

Yes, the best way to determine when you might experience menopause is to know when your own mother went through menopause (unless she had surgically induced menopause due to hysterectomy.)

So considering these factors and your family history, you may need to consult your doctor for a hormonal check-up.

You need clinical examination, testing for thyroid function, and other hormone levels. You need to have a blood hormonal levels checkup. This includes:

-Serum Estrogen level,

-Serum progesterone level

-Serum FSH level

-Serum prolactin level

Based on the levels of these hormones and clinical check-up, it can be confirmed whether this is due to perimenopause or if there is an underlying cause.

So I advise you to please make an appointment with your gynecologist.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you,

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Appointment will take some time in this climate.
I have had gynacological checkup in july with internal ultrasound. All was fine.
Smear test 2 weeks ago fineCan my high stress and anxiety levels in the last 6 months cause my hormones to be chaotic?

Yes, stress and anxiety is a major cause that disturbs and alters the menstrual cycle.

When you are under stress, adrenal glands secrete a hormone called cortisol. Cortisol has a direct impact on the sex hormones estrogen, progesterone, and DHEA. This causes an alteration in the period/early periods.

Most of the time, simply decreasing your stress, improving nutrition, and adding adequate nutritional supplements can provide a natural way to restore regular periods.

Take plant estrogens (phytoestrogens, isoflavones. Eat healthy & nutritious. Take a nutritious diet containing a good amount of iron, calcium, magnesium, multivitamins.

I hope my recommendations are helpful to you. Please let me know if you have any other follow up questions.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok. Apologies for so many questions, i am just trying to understand.
My thyroid was checked in june and is normal.
Given my check up can i remain calm there is nothing too dangerous about this?So i understand how the stress effects me, its been very high for many months, but last 7 days i was calm again. Should the hormonal chaos be appearing this cycle if i have felt little less stressed last few days?
Does it have to be one of high anxiety specific part of the month or chronic ling term one?

Yes, stress and anxiety can be a major cause for you.

It may take a couple of cycles to get back to normal if you calm down and are able to cope with stress.

Please do not worry. There does not seem to be anything serious or dangerous about this.

The following treatment measures are also recommended for you:

-Take measures to relieve your stress and anxiety.

-You can take plant estrogens (phytoestrogens, isoflavones).

-Eat healthy & nutritious.

-Take a nutritious diet containing a good amount of iron, calcium, magnesium, multivitamins.

-You can take Omega-3 fatty acids, such as fish oil

-Take magnesium in the diet. Pumpkin seeds, spinach, salmon, kale, and brown rice are all good sources of magnesium

-You can take vitamin D. This is very helpful to maintain normal periods.

All of this should help you greatly.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
thank you

You are very welcome! I am glad I was able to help.