Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

My son has a huge lump on his right tonsil and it oozes puss

My son has a huge lump on his right tonsil and it oozes puss ( it looks like a mini brain )
JA: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?
Customer: It hard, smelly and he said it’s about 6 months
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Both sides of his family have cancer history
Hi. I’m Dr. Mark. I’m a board certified physician and happy to assist you.
How,old is your son? Has he seen a doctor yet?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
He is 26 and he has had a swab taken from a nurse
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I would but I can’t afford it
If you got a request for a phone call just ignore it. It’s sent out automatically.
What you describe is a abscess in that tonsil. This is can be quite serious. Having had the culture was appropriate. I don’t know if he saw an doctor or was started on antibiotics. Can you answer that?
If the abscess is large then he needs to see an ENT specialist as most likely the abscess has to be drained. He needs antibiotics at the minimum. Was he started on antibiotics?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
The lump is touching his left tonsil and attached to his right one it has blood and some puss
He needs to go to the emergency room today. This is a serious condition that can lead to severe complications. He needs medical attention right away.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
He hasn’t had antibiotics because he is in prison and takes five weeks to get to see one.
He isn’t getting proper medical care. I didn’t know he is in prison. I can advise you on what he medically needs but I have no control with the prison. You need to be his advocate and have his attorney contact the prison.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you for your help
You’re welcome. I hope he gets quick medical care.