Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have a dental problem that over the last few days has got

Hi, I have a dental problem that over the last few days has got worse, I have pain in both the upper and lower teeth but only on the left hand side, it can become excruciatingly painful, I have been taking co-codamol every 4 hrs which reduces the pain but it doesn't go completely, I haven't had any trauma, and no tooth decay as far as I am aware, the pain can radiate to my chin and up to the cheek bone. The pain is hard to describe but feels like someone is touching the nerves. I have a dental appointment but they can't see me until next Thursday. Many thanks Helen
JA: Has the pain been stable or getting worse? Is this a repeating or first-time issue?
Customer: pain is getting worse, first time issue
JA: Got it. Have you seen a dentist about the pain? How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: booked to see dentist but soonest they can see me is next Thursday, it's been progressively getting worse over the last 2 to 3 days. I called the dentist yesterday
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dentist should know?
Customer: no

Hi there,
I am an experienced Medical Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dental infection is quite possible.

However, given the distribution pain, this can be a nerve related problem.

Trigeminal neuralgia for example can be caused by nerve injury or viral infection.

This can cause severe radiating pain mainly triggered by chewing or laughing.

Although, cocodamol helps with the pain, nerve specific medication called Gabapentin 300 mg 3 times daily or Oxcarbazapine 600 mg twice daily may work better.

Best wishes,
Please reply back if you need any further clarification.
It was my pleasure to help you today.