Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

About an hour ago I took cocaine and Straight after I

Hi, about an hour ago I took cocaine and Straight after I started sweating a lot and then vomited. I didn’t eat before this I went out and had quite a lot of cocaine earlier today. Now my heart is pounding and racing faster than normal in my chest and the back of my head feels slightly tingly. Have I overdosed and is this a medical emergency? I feel fine apart from my heart palpitations and I have eaten a meal and drank a few cups of water

Hi there,
I am an experienced Medical Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

You should drink lots of electrolyte rich fluids like Gatorade as cocaine increases metabolism.

This can cause palpitations as well.

Although less common, sometimes fast heart beats can precipitate heart attack even at your age.

If your heart rate does not drop bellow 100 in next 15 minutes, you should go to the local hospital for further monitoring.
Best wishes,
Please reply back if you need any further clarification.
It was my pleasure to help you today.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks for your reply, I have been picked up by a friend and on the way to the hospital it’s slowed down under 100bpm however 15 minutes after you sent me that reply it was still over 100bpm shall I still get checked ?

Yes I will suggest so --all the best

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks for telling me to get checked last night; I went there and got tests and found out My heart had enlarged and the doctor said my ECG test looked similar to a 45 year olds. Does this mean my heart is at the age of a 45 year olds or would that just be because I had taken cocaine? All my blood tests came back normal and they let me go home. What would you recommend me to do?

Cocaine can cause chronic damage to the heart and hence although you are young your heart may have suffered damages consistent with older age.

Definitely you will need to stop cocaine completely.

You will need to follow up with a cardiologist as well with periodic echocardiogram to assess heart problem.

Certain medications ( like ace inhibitor) can be prescribed by the cardiologist to help with the remodeling of the heart to improve functioning.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thanks for the advice. If I look after myself from this point will my heart go back to the normal age?

Most likely yes in next 6 months or so.