Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I am nearly 80, very fit, in good health. Last night I woke

I am nearly 80, very fit, in good health.
Last night I woke up to go to the loo feeling extremely dizzy. I had to hold on to furniture to stay upright. I had to haul myself along as my body seemed to want to do the opposite. After uninating and defecating I had to wait for 5 – 10 minutes before I was stable enough to return to bed. OK this morning. I had a similar but very short spell like this when seated about 3 weeks ago.
JA: Have you used any medication for dizziness?
Customer: No.
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about dizziness?
Customer: No
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: My medication is Lansoprazole for reflux/hearburn; Ramipiril, Felodapine and Bendroflumethiazide for hypertension; Atorvastatin. Drops: Dorzolamide and Bimataprost for glaucoma.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.
I can appreciate your concerns regarding this issue.

From your description, this is most likely an episode of BPPV, or benign paroxysmal positional vertigo - a momentary dizziness that you get when you move your head.

Typically occurs when you get up from bed or when you roll in bed or move your head.
It is a non-critical condition and self-resolving, and you will require to do some exercises.

You should do some adaptation exercises for your dizziness, you can look up here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olgEtOKAGaI
These exercises are the mainstay of treatment, you should do them regularly.
You should also take OTC Cap. Benadryl 50 mg twice daily, this has an anti-dizziness effect. It may cause sleepiness.

In general, however, all dizziness episodes should be checked up. Such dizziness could also be caused by other ear conditions like ear infections, Meniere's disease. Various other conditions of the brain, heart, etc could also cause such dizziness. So it could be a sign of some potentially dangerous ailments. Hence you should consult your doctor, your GP or Family Physician, ASAP for an examination and investigations if necessary. Ask about BPPV. A maneuver called Epley's maneuver is very useful for this, ask about this.

Meanwhile continue with the Benadryl and the exercises till you get to your doctor.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
Please rate the answer 5 stars if you have been helped by the answer to show your acceptance. A bonus is always welcome!
If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you for a really useful response. I have booked a phone appointment with my own GP. Should I ask whether a cranial nerve checkup is advisable?

No, cranial nerve checkup is not needed for dizziness.

Checkup for ear conditions causing dizziness plus cardiological checkup and a general systemic checkup is required.