Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

My 64 yr old husband ( retired GP) is day 10 of covid 19 +ve

My 64 yr old husband ( retired GP) is day 10 of covid 19 +ve diagnosis.
JA: Is your husband experiencing any symptoms, such as a cough, fever, or shortness of breath?
Customer: He went into hospital on the sunday before diagnosis, with chest pain extreme malaise and high temp. HE came home 7 hrs later. Diagnosed +ve the next day. DAy 8 got worse felt like he was having to inflate his chest himself, so after 30 mins on 111 I called 999, very quick reasponse. they listened to his chest, clear. Still pyrexic , said my gun type thermometer was useless and the oxymeter I had bought was very variable. They were very sweet and said to have a low threshold for calling them again. He is quite stoic, played County rugby with a broken arm once. I think now he is worried about himself, only coughing on exertion, pyrexic on and off, not eating, but taking fluids including lots of milk. I am a nurse, so trying my best. I would like to get hold of a decent oxymeter that he could use to put his mind at rest.. He is very weak and totally exhausred. I have never seen him like this before, even when he had an an obsructed hernia! What would you suggest? many thanks. Are you doing this voluntarily?
JA: The Doctor will be able to answer that. Where is he located? How widespread is COVID-19 in his area?
Customer: ITs Titchfield Hampshire, but he was working in our business in THirsk north Yorkshire when he got the symptoms. Very widespread up there.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in his medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: YEs he has a T cell Lymphoma diagnosed 20 yrs ago. ITs mycosis fungoides, pretty rare. NOt much known about it. He just gets skin symptoms, seeing a specialist on a regular basis.
Good morning, I am Dr Ruff. Thank you for contacting us today.I am sorry your husband is not feeling well.Reassuringly the normal pattern of COVID is that symptoms tend to improve from day 10. It is common to get shortness of breath on exertion.If symptoms persist beyond today without improving then he could possibly have a post viral bacterial infection which is brining more common.If he is not improving over the next few days then I would consult his doctor as Antibiotics may he indicated.
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
thank you very much. Very helpfull.