Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

My mum is 78, had cancer 2 years ago and is still suffering

my mum is 78, had cancer 2 years ago and is still suffering from after effects. She also broke her hip and had a back fracture after the chemo stopped. She can get no joined up care to help with all of the pain
JA: Has your mother used any medication for cancer?
Customer: She had the terrible one - oxyleplatyn. She now thinks she has peripheral neuropathy. She does not have lympodemia as we had a test for that 4 months ago
JA: Got it. Has she seen a doctor about cancer?
Customer: She no longer has an oncologist she can speak with but she is cancer free. It was second stage bowl cancer and she had a bit of her bowel and liver removed
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in her medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: before the cancer, she was never ill

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today.

I am sorry to hear your mother is having some difficulties with pain.

Do you know what type of pain and where the pain is she is currently experiencing?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Neuropathy like burning in her legs. Pain on her lower back. Pain in her hip. Overall exhaustion. Painful swelling of legs. These symptoms have been getting much worse over the past 6 months. She had bowel cancer in 2017.. chemo 2018...broke her back in a fall during chemo in 2018.... Broke her hip Feb 2019...was starting to recover when she got terrible swelling in legs and although she tries to exercise daily the pain is intense. Her spine seems to have healed, she does not have arhritis
Okay thanks. So your mother should get examined to establish the cause to the pain. Neuropathic pain does sound likely and therefore there are particular targeted agents such as Pregabalin that can help.However swollen legs should be assessed. Chemotherapy can have an impact on the heart, and therefore heart failure should be excluded. Uncontrolled swelling can cause pain, so if this is oedema, a diuretic would work better than an analgesic.Given what she has also been through, physio therapy would be useful at reconditioning.I would contact her GP to arrange a blood test first, to check for anaemia, kidneys/liver are okay, a heart protein called BNP, as well as calcium levels.I would then ask for a face to face appointment following this to examine your mother to identify the cause.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Would it be possible to call my mother Diana? Happy to pay the additional on***********
I can discuss this with her if you like. But you would need to request the phone call from your side...just update the telephone number for your mother
Customer: replied 10 days ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** just tried calling but there was no answer.

Do you know if there is a better time to call?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sorry***********
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Fat fingers!

Thank you, ***** ***** just spoken, she will contact her GP to arrange some blood tests and an Echocardiogram, as well as check an Oncology referral was done.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you so much!

My pleasure, I wish you both well.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
If we wanted to follow up with you is it possible to do that via the app