Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hiya, Basically for the past 6 months I have been feeling

Hiya,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Basically for the past 6 months I have been feeling dizzy almost everyday and it’s effecting me with my everyday life.it started happening when every time I go to the gym or go to the restaurant or even going to work but now it has gotten way worse. On Monday I went to work I had a blackout on Thursday I came home from work and I was so dizzy I was going to faint I puked that day over 7 times and I was shaking and it lasted hours. And yesterday I didn’t puke but I got so dizzy that I couldn’t function which also lasted hours
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I didn’t think it was that bad for me to see a doctor especially with all this corona virus going around and I don’t take no medication always been fit and healthy
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I don’t take no medications at all
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: nothing apart from 3 years ago when I suddenly fainted

What are your age and gender?

What was the diagnosis, when you fainted?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I’m 23 a male and when I fainted the hospital said it’s a panic attack

Thanks for the further information.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5-10 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Unless you wish to speak in person, you can ignore the request for a phone call - that is automatically generated by the website, not by me.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Also the dizziness happens a lot when I sit down on a chair

I am sorry to learn about your health issues.

I know that can be very stressful when in such a situation.

The causes of dizziness according to the decreasing incidence are;

1) Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) 20%

2) Vestibular 15%

3) Migraine and motion sensitivity 15%

4) Anxiety and depression 10%

5) Meniere's disease 7%

6) Cerebellar disease 6%

7) Transient ischemic attacks 5%

8) Orthostatic hypotension 4%

9) Other

Chronic dizziness associated with the floating, rocking, and light headedness and is induced by eye movements (the head being still) should be also investigated or correlated to anxiety and depression, if all the medical imaging, blood work, and examination are negative.

If you are on any medications, their side effects also should be ruled out for lightheadedness, as drugs are quite a common cause for this symptom. Dizziness may be provoked by only certain movements, such as standing up after lying down for at least 10 minutes in orthostatic hypotension or may occur after vertical or oblique head movements, such as lying down, turning over in bed, or sitting up in benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV).

Simply moving the eyes with the head stationary causes dizziness and there is no eye movement disorder (ocular misalignment or an internuclear ophthalmoparesis), then dizziness is likely to be the result of anxiety. When dizziness occurs without provocation (spontaneous) and is vestibular (ear disorder) in origin, it frequently is exacerbated by head movements.

Internal ear disease vertigo is termed true vertigo in which one feels the rotational movement of self or the surroundings. False vertigo or nonvertigo has a feeling of light-headedness, unsteadiness, motion intolerance, imbalance, etc. You need to consult first an ENT specialist to exclude the diseases of the internal ear. They will perform some clinical tests (vestibular diagnostic tests) to establish the cause. Often, dizziness can be a multisensory disorder due to any combination of peripheral neuropathy, visual impairment, and musculoskeletal disease. Many patients who have thyroid dysfunction can present with dizziness as an initial complaint. In individuals who have migraines, dizziness and vertigo can occur as part of the aura or separately. Spells usually last approximately an hour but can last several hours or days in patients who have severe symptoms. Most patients who have migraines have a long history of recurring symptoms. So that too should be assessed as a cause if you have a history of migraines.

Your primary care physician should refer you to a neurologist, and an ENT specialist for evaluation as the causes can be divided on the system, which is involved.

That should be able to conclude for the diagnosis.

Hospitals and clinics are the safest places if you can keep the physical distancing and masking. You should get an examination and investigations of your symptoms and past history of fainting.

I am glad for the opportunity to answer your question.

I hope this interaction is helpful to you.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
do you reckon it’s something serious and do you think I should go to the hospital/doctor ?

This is Dr. David

if your dizziness is affecting your life, you should see your primary care doctor

do you have a primary care doctor?

do you have bad anxiety symptoms?

you should get a GP doctor and see your doctor right away

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
My dizziness has affected my work life, social life and eating life.
Even when I go to a restaurant, as soon as I start eating I feel dizzy.
But just recently the dizziness feels like I’m going to faint I start seeing stars in my eyes and can’t focus
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Also I’m not sure what anxiety is so I can’t say if I have bad anxiety symptoms
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Also when I sleep everyday my right hand always goes numb
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Also the dizziness like I’m going to faint lasts hours

anxiety is a constant worry and panic sensation.

when you sleep, you can often lay on your arms and block circulation

you should work on doing more yoga which can help improve flexibility and circulation in your body.

ask your GP doctor for treatment for your vertigo dizziness symptoms

there are medications like antivert or meclizine or dramaine which can help with dizziness.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
But when the dizziness occurs I start shaking and I can feel my temperature rising to the roof, I can feel my blood pressure drop and I can feel my heart pumping
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I haven’t got anxiety because I’m never in constant fear the only thing I fear is being so dizzy I’m going to faint.

this sounds like vertigo attack

do you have a GP doctor?

or you could have some sort of autonomic disorder or POTS syndrome

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Do you think it’s serious enough to see a doctor because I just don’t want to waste their time with all of this corona virus going around.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Also I forgot to mention that the dizziness feeling sometimes happens up to 5/6 times a day and with that I have difficulty breathing when I feel dizzy and start seeing stars
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Sometimes I can control it but sometimes it controls me

yes, it is serious enough

it is affecting your everyday life

it is affecting your work

you should ask to see a neurologist

and get more testing for POTS syndrome and to check your blood pressure when these episodes happen

you should get EEG testing and heart monitoring when these episodes happen.

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician