Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I had temperature of 39/39.5 for past two days with bloating

Hi, i had temperature of 39/39.5 for past two days with bloating diahorea mixed with blood, the temperature dropped since this morning but the rest remains
JA: Have you used any medication for bloating?
Customer: just active charcoal
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about bloating?
Customer: no it only started on friday my gp is closed over the weekend
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: not really

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.
I can appreciate your concerns regarding this issue.

This is likely to be an episode of viral gastroenteritis (stomach flu). Viral gastroenteritis presents with vomiting and/or diarrhoea, although there may be diarrhoea alone. This is often preceded by headaches, fever and flu like symptoms.

Viral gastroenteritis can usually be treated at home, but it is recommended that if there is bloody diarrhea this should be seen to by a doctor. Medical consultation is also recommended for any temperature above 38.8

Hence you should talk to your GP about this.

Supportive treatment that you can do at home till you see your GP are:

Rest.
Plenty of fluids- you should take water, fruit juices, electrolyte fluids like Gatorade..
Bland diet: the BRATTY diet - banana, soft rice, apple sauce, toast, tea and yoghurt is recommended.
Small frequent meals every two hours.

You can take the following OTC medicines:

Loperamide (one brand name: Imodium): This is for diarrhoea if it is severe. the dosage is 2 caplets after the first loose stool, then 1 caplet after each loose stool that follows. Take no more than 4 caplets or 8 teaspoonfuls in 24 hours

Bismuth subsalicylate (brand names: Kaopectate, Pepto-Bismol): This is for vomiting if it is severe. The usual dose is 2 tablespoonfuls every half-hour to one hour if needed. You should not take more than 16 tablespoonfuls of the regular-strength suspension or 8 tablespoonfuls of the concentrate in twenty-four hours

You may be having some acid reflux along with this, you should also take Tab. Zantac 150 mg once daily for this. The bismuth will also help, or you can take Mucaine gel antacid 2-3 tsf thrice daily

If abdominal cramping is very severe, you may need to take antispasmodics for abdominal cramps, these include drugs like Antispas, Antispasmodic, Barbidonna, etc.Antispasmodics are perscription drugs, and you have to approach a doctor for this.

At the same time, you should report this to your doctor.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
Please rate the answer 5 stars if you have been helped by the answer to show your acceptance. A bonus is always welcome!
If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti