Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I am currently taking 450mg quetiapine for manic bipolar and

I am currently taking 450mg quetiapine for manic bipolar and 80mg propananol for night time panic attacks. Over the last 5 days I have been experiencing a feeling of impending death just before falling asleep. I feel like I am going to die. It is a very scary experience. I would welcome advice on how to stop this.
JA: How long have you been taking Quetiapine? Any recent changes in dosage?
Customer: 18 months. No change in dosage.
JA: Got it. How severe has the the bipolar disorder been?
Customer: Bipolar has been well controlled with medication. Until now, panic attacks have also been well controlled
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: No

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today.

I am sorry that you are experiencing this, I can imagine it is rather unpleasant.

There are a few things I would do, firstly get an ECG to check any impact the Quetiapine is having or the Propranolol. They can both affect the heart and cause a slowing or altered rhythm which would give an unpleasant sensation. I would also arrange some blood tests to check that nothing reversible is causing this.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you. I will touch base with the GP re the ECG and blood tests. Is there anything I can do in the short term to relieve of these symptoms? Adjust dosage or routine? Thanks
That is my pleasure, I would clarify with your doctor first about the dose as my suggestion would be to stop one of them as soon as possibke
Sorry. I was responding to another question but with difference medications. I would not stop them to clarify sorry
Customer: replied 13 days ago.