Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth,
101124971

I have an inner ear infection, About three days I haven't

Customer Question

I have an inner ear infection
JA: How long have you had the ear infection? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: About three days I haven't used any medication my doctor usually prescribe augmenting. I am from South Africa so don't have a doctor in the uk
JA: Got it. When was your last doctor visit? What did you discuss?
Customer: Last visit was February for my annual checkup all was ok
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No I am in good health other than the ear
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 26 days ago.

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 15 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

1. May I know your age please?

2. Did you have any fever or cough and cold / sore throat before this ear pain started?

3. Is there any watery or pus like discharge from the ear and since how long?

4. What is the color of the discharge?

5. What is the maximum recorded temperature (if any)?

6. Did this start with cough and cold?

7. Is this occurring for the first time or have there been recurrences in the past?

8. If there are recurrences is it always in the same ear?

9. When you just press around the ear and slightly displace the ear canal are you feeling any pain which is getting aggravated?

10. Is there any redness near the ear canal or around the ear?

11. Did the pain subside a little after the ear discharge started?

12. Did you use any antibiotics in the past 30 days?

13. Are you currently on any antibiotic therapy?

14. Was there any dizziness only after this ear pain and discharge?

Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 25 days ago.

As you are not able to respond. I will try my level best with the minimal information available.

"Without the information requested in my first/previous response, I can only give you a general answer, but I hope this helps."

Please do remember that you can still come back to me for further clarification.

Best regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Thank you for getting back with the requested necessary information and the image.

From your symptom analysis the image and correlating it with the history that I have gathered from you I feel that the possibilities are -

1. Otitis Media or middle ear infection (either viral or bacterial)

2. Viral pharyngitis.

3. Eustachian tube blockage.

As of now I suggest -

1. Tablet Claritin one tablet once daily for 3 days.

2. Saline nasal drops one drop in each nostril every sixth hourly or as and when required.

3. There is pain or discomfort or fever you can take Ibuprofen 400mg 3 times a day after food or on as and when required basis.

4. Warm salt water gargling 3 or 4 times a day, 30 minutes before food for a couple of days.

5. Do not instill anything in the ear.

There is nothing to worry about anything serious going on please.

If you are not better with above measures in 24 hours, you require an otoscopy examination by a physician and based on that oral antibiotic. The best would be Amoxicillin.

May I suggest you discuss these possibilities with your primary care physician and get yourself appropriately evaluated and managed please.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you! Please do let me know if you need any further clarification in this regard and we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800