neurosurg
neurosurg, Board Certified MD
Experience:  US MD
206912

I started on Friday evening having a sharp pain lasting a

Customer Question

I started on Friday evening having a sharp pain lasting a couple of seconds in my left leg below my knee and to the left of my shin bone. After an hour or so this stopped. I had nothing on Saturday, but it was present again today. I twice timed the interval between the shots of pain. It went between two and a quarter minutes and three and a half minutes. Could I ask what this might be ?
JA: Have you used any medication for the pain?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the pain?
Customer: No because the surgery is shut at weekends
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I am on medication to limit my level 2 diabetes and apixaban to regulate my heart I think
Expert:  neurosurg replied 18 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Mark. I am board certified (USA), and have twenty years experience. Please allow me to review your question.

Expert:  neurosurg replied 18 days ago.

Do you have any lower back pain?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Not at the moment but I have suffered fromsciatica
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No thanks. I’ll just see my gp tomorrow
Expert:  neurosurg replied 18 days ago.

OK.

The pain you describe does sound like irritation of a nerve, either the L5 nerve in your lower back (part of the sciatic nerve), or the peroneal nerve on the outside of your knee.

Either way, nerve irritation can improve with time. Try taking ibuprofen (if allowed) to help with the pain.

Expert:  neurosurg replied 18 days ago.

Your doctor can evaluate you, and if there is a concern with a "pinched" nerve in the lower back, MRI of the lumbar spine would be ordered for diagnosis.