Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

My tooth is sensitive when I floss it. I had a deep filling

Customer Question

My tooth is sensitive when I floss it. I had a deep white filling about a month ago and I’m scared it won’t settle and I’ll need a root canal, do you know how long it can take for a white deep filling to settle down?
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: No swelling, and a month ago
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 25 days ago.

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff. Thank you for contacting us today. Sensitivity following a filling can last up to 5 weeks as a general rule. Therefore this may continue to settle down.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I think it’s been a bit longer though, and it only started a couple of weeks ago!
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Also, what would be the symptoms/how would I know if the dentist didn’t remove all the decay before placing the filling?

Okay thanks, ***** ***** would suggest you contact your dentist again. If they are concerned about tooth decay then an xray may be possible to check for this.