Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I am writing regarding a concern of mine. I'm 31, female and

Customer Question

I am writing regarding a concern of mine.I'm 31, female and living in Ireland. I work from home doing customer service/admin, I do not have a stressful job or particularly stressful life (no kids, no mortgage, cheap rent) I'm in a happy relationship and do not have any money worries. Despite this, I do have health anxiety and in the past I have put myself in the emergency room due to a panic attack, and have been through the A-Z of medical issues, nothing as of yet has actually transformed into a real illness.However, I am concerned that I am mixing up my words a lot, saying the wrong thing in place for something else, stuttering, pausing to think half way through speaking, typing things in the wrong order. I now notice I do these things every day, and where I have started to notice it, I cannot UN notice it. Its getting me extremely worried and down in general, I can't stop noticing when other people do it too. I'm worried there is something wrong with my brain or language component of my brain. Of course Ive googled the symptoms and things like dementia come up which terrifies me. The very first time I noticed myself doing this was 5 years ago, then I stopped noticing and only now Ive started again. I'm educated to University level and have always been good at writing and english.I hope you can help?Thanks so much
JA: Have you used any medication for anxiety?
Customer: no
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about anxiety?
Customer: yes
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: brother and father have suffered with depression I think in the past
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 24 days ago.

Let me at the outset tell you that your symptoms are not due to dementia.

Your symptoms are far common in people who work a lot on computers and have typing to do. The software assisting during typing causes complacency and slight loss of concentration which also goes in speaking also.

None of this is worrisome and with just slight vigil on yourself can take care of it.

Following measures may be helpful;

1) Avoid multitasking

2) Avoid a noisy environment.

3) Sleep for 8 hours.

4) If you are taking any medicines, ask your doctor if any of them may be contributory.

5) Reduce stress and anxiety.

6) Physical fitness and mental fitness go together, so walk and exercise every day.

8) Mediterranean-type diets like whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and healthy fats from fish, nuts, and healthy oils help promote heart health and may also lessen the risk of memory and thinking problems.

8) Eating several servings of fruits and vegetables can also help significantly.

I am glad for the opportunity to answer your question.

I hope this interaction is helpful to you.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
HiThanks so much for your reply. My other worry is that it is Primary progressive aphasia, due to the symptoms being so similar, do you think it is lifestyle, rather than this cognitive disease?Thanks

You are very welcome.

A categorical yes or no answer is not possible without a physical exam and MRI of the brain.

Your doctor may consider a scan for it.

It is likely to be due to lifestyle.