Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I struggle to maintain and gain an erection with my partner

Customer Question

I struggle to maintain and gain an erection with my partner especially when putting on a condom. I also don’t feel anything during sex. I’m 20 years old and healthy.
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?
Customer: Not my first time but I want a second opinion. Overall extremely good I excercise regularly and am in shape
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no not really
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 23 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.
I can appreciate your concerns regarding this issue.

You are having Erectile Dysfunction.

Erectile Dysfunction can be due to a number of causes.

Psychological: Psychological causes of ED are the commonest cause.

Other causes of ED are: medicines, neuropathy due to causes like diabetes, hormonal disorders like low testosterone, lumbar disc lesion, cardiovascular diseases, etc.

In your case, this is certainly due to psychological causes. SInce you are young and healthy, psychological causes like performance failure, masturbation habits (masturbation is not bad in itself but excessive masturbation more than 5 times a week, too fast or too much pressure causes a habituation to masturbation) anxiety about self, anxiety about partner, etc all contribute to this.

Psychological problems leading to erectile dysfunction are common with after a period without sex, a new partner, periods of increased stress, etc.

You should not get yourself worried about this. You will certainly come out of this with time.

The first thing is to combat your stress.

Try to avoid stress - cut down on coffee, alcohol, smoking.

Regular hours of sleep.

Good healthy diet.

Iron, Vit. C and Zinc supplements

Exercise regularly, this is the most important step.

In additon to this, the other measures that you should take are:

Vitamin supplements: Bioflavinoids, Selenium and Vitamin E supplements.

Kegel exercises: You should do them regularly for strengthening the pelvic muscles.

All these supplements are available OTC at pharmacies and you can ask for these supplements.

All these measures will help you to come out of this.

If it persists, you should see your doctor.

There are a number of drugs available. The most well known of course is Sildenafil (Viagra). Besides this, alternative drugs like Tadalafil (Cialis) and Vardenafil (Levitra) are also available. These are the first choice of treatment and one or the other should work for you.

Prescription drugs will certainly help you overcome this if you need them. You can use this for a certain period till you come out fo this.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
Please rate the answer 5 stars if you have been helped by the answer to show your acceptance. A bonus is always welcome!
If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Hi thank you for your answer could you just explain habitation to masturbation a bit more for me please. Masturbating feels good but the sex I can’t feel anything which I find strange. This is only my third time having sex

Masturbation is generally considered good for sexual health.

But you should avoid masturbating too often - more than 7 times a week.

Also you should not press too hard and not stroke too fast.

If you do this, this will be quite a different feeling from actual sex.