Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

2 weeks ago I started taking the mini pill again however

Customer Question

Hi, 2 weeks ago I started taking the mini pill again however i've only just realised that the expiration date on the packet is 2018. I've just ordered a new packet of pills but am concerned that I have had sex twice over this 2 week period, although the pull out method was also used. Should I be worried?
JA: Apologies for the personal questions, but are you using any contraceptives? When did your last period begin?
Customer: My last period began on the 24th october and i started the expired pill packet on 26th
JA: Got it. When was your last smear test, and what were the results? Any swelling, discoloration, or unusual smells?
Customer: I haven't had a smear test as I am only 20, but havent noticed anything unusua
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 15 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.
I can appreciate your concerns regarding this issue.

Since the expiry date was long past, there is a possibility that you were not fully protected while on this pack.

But some protection will still be there because in general pill expiration dates are generally kept quite short even when there is still a lot of effectiveness.

Also, the pull out method was also used.

You have to wait for the due date of your period to see if there was any pregnancy, but you need not get worried about this, chances are good that you were still protected.

You should use condoms for the first 5 days after starting the new pack.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
Please rate the answer 5 stars if you have been helped by the answer to show your acceptance. A bonus is always welcome!
If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Great thank you!

Glad to help.

Wish you best of health and a quick recovery.

Please rate the answer 5 stars if you have not done so already on the bar of 5 stars. A bonus is always welcome.