Caring doc
Caring doc, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist. MBBS,MD
25020506

I’m currently 29 weeks gestation on my first baby and last

Customer Question

I’m currently 29 weeks gestation on my first baby and last week I went for a 28 week growth scan. Midwife was concerned as there is a little extra fluid surrounding the baby than there should be and fundal height is 2cm more than it should be at this time in the pregnancy. I was negative for gestational diabetes so I’m just being monitored. However I suffer with severe heartburn and reflux since the second trimester and have been taking gaviscon in regular high doses especially during the night for relief but now I’ve read that sodium bicarbonate which is present in gaviscon and other antacids can cause fluid build up during pregnancy, could this be the cause in my case?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Only over the counter antacid gaviscon and no allergies
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no
Expert:  Caring doc replied 16 days ago.
Hi.Welcome to just answer.I am caring doc.I can help you today.
Respected customer, these medications can cause very minor fluid retention, but that is not usually associated with increased amniotic fluid in uterus. You should not worry, if you have been evaluated for fetal anomalies and other medical conditions, and there is no issue, you are good,many times there is no underlying medical condition!!
But you should be in touch with your gynecologist for follow up and management!