Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I m 11 days late on my period pregnancy test negative?

Customer Question

Hello good morning I m 11 days late on my period pregnancy test negative ?
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: Normally regular
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Was abit stressed last month doing 2 jobs
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 15 days ago.

Pregnancy is the most common cause of a delayed or missed period. The home pregnancy test is most reliable when done 7 days after the due date of the period but you have already done 1 pregnancy tests. The home pregnancy is not always reliable, it is to be confirmed by a blood pregnancy test or an Ultrasound. This can be done by your doctor. However it is medically recommended that the period should be delayed by 4 weeks before doing blood tests for pregnancy.

There are other causes of a delayed period, the ones most likely for you are:

* Psychogenic factors: like stress - induced psychogenic amenorrhea, exercise amenorrhea, bulimia, and anorexia nervosa
* Hypothyroidism

* Obesity

* Polycystic ovarian disease

A delayed or missed period is a very common condition due to slight hormonal imbalances caused by stress, exercise, weight gain or loss, etc. It will usually resolve spontaneously and you will get back your normal period.

However, it is medically recommended that if the period is delayed for more than 4 weeks, you should approach a gynaecologist for a check up. At this stage you can also ask for a blood pregnancy test or an Ultrasound. This will confirm the chances of pregnancy, and also detect other causes if there.

Meanwhile for now, steps you should take are:

Lots of fluids - water, juice, Gatorade.

Vt. C, Zinc and Vitamin B complex supplements -you can get this at your pharmacy.

Regular exercise - take 30 minutes of walk 5 times a week at the minimum. This is the most important step.

Maintain optimal weight – check your BMI on the net, its easily done. If you are overweight, try to reduce weight by at least 5 pounds, this will help greatly.

Avoid smoking, cut down on alcohol, cut down on caffeine

Cut down on excess sugar and carbs

High fiber diet -vegetables, fruits, non processed meat and fish - be sure to take nutritious diet

Regular hours of sleep

Dont obsess about this thing, it will only add to the stress and further delay your period even if you are not pregnant.

This will help to regularize the system, but if the symptoms persist show your doctor for further investigations.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I had 4 tests all negative
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Can it be stress

In that case you are certain to be negative. 4 tests would not be wrong.

It is most likely to be something simple like stress.

You should follow the steps I suggested.

Show a gynae if the period is delayed more than a month.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is it normal to be late sometimes

Yes, a delayed period is quite common and occurs during periods of stress, etc.

Dont worry about it, it will normalise soon enough.