How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. P. Jyoti Your Own Question
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 11684
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. P. Jyoti is online now

Damage glans, I have pain, swelling, and dark color in my

Customer Question

Damage glans
JA: What are all your symptoms? Are you taking any medication?
Customer: I have pain, swelling, and dark color in my glans. I am taking prednisone, methotrexate, Hydroxychloroquine, Lansoprazole for Rheumatoid Arthritis.
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the pain?
Customer: yes
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I caused the swelling by trauma, and I think I might have torn some inner tissue.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.
I’m sorry to hear about your problem. I know how worrisome this situation can be for you.
Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age?

How long have you had pain and swelling and dark colour of the glans?

How did you injure yourself?

Have you shown to a doctor?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Age: 38
Pain time: a little more than a month, but gradually getting worse. At first I thought it was nothing serious.
I held my penis, causing more blood to flow in.
I have talked to urologist. I also had a ultrasound, but it's not broken penis. The pain is in the glans, not stem.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 14 days ago.

Rather than due to trauma, you are likely to be having Balantits, an inflammation of the glans penis. This is not an uncommon condition, but is fortunately easy to treat in most cases.

The main causes are:

Inadequate Hygiene: poor hygiene can lead to overgrowth of bacteria or fungi. That is why it is seen more commonly in uncircumcised men.

Contact dermatitis: a new soap or detergent which is irritating may cause such inflammation. You should see if you have been using a new soap, etc. during this period and stop it if you find any source.

Tight foreskin: a tight foreskin may predispose to inadequate hygiene.

In your case, trauma to the glans by rubbing forcefully may have caused some infection.

Treatment is:

Adequate hygiene - wash with a lot of clean water, avoid soap as it further irritates the skin.
Removing any irritant products like soaps.
Use antibiotic ointments: you can use Neosprin ointment available OTC.

Anti fungal ointments: you should also apply an antifungal ointment like Lotrimin (OTC).

You can apply Neosporin and Lotrimin together twice daily each.

However, if these steps are not sufficient to clear the inflammation within about 2 weeks, or it increases, or there is repeated infections, you should consult a doctor, preferably a dermatologist.

Many conditions can cause this:

Infections by pathogens like HPV and other STI, fungal infections, Mycobacterial infections, etc.

Rare skin conditions like Necrobiosis lipoidica, Balanitis xerotica, etc.

A dermatologist will be able to give you an exact diagnosis.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti