Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Sever muscle spasam's in left shoulder going down whole arm

Customer Question

Sever muscle spasam's in left shoulder going down whole arm and not being able to move it. Burning tight swollen hot agonising pain non stop. Right down to fingers. Ant even hold cup. Persisting and radiating all over my muscles an nerves in my body
JA: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?
Customer: Drs not answering can't get tablets don't want to go a& e when I've gone & done that several times and met with the same not interested attitude
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Whole body is in agony out of 1 to a million it's definitely a million not sleeping cantaot stand do anything to relieve it at all. Spasam's are constant weather from small to huge feel like my body is literally paralysed in pain deep inside my actual nerves and muscles
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 23 days ago.

What is your age?

Since when is the pain?

What are the investigations and treatments done?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I am 30 this has now gown on for over a month

Thanks for the further information.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5-10 minutes.

Unless you wish to speak in person, you can ignore the request for a phone call - that is automatically generated by the website, not by me.

This is most likely due to the pinched nerves in the neck which are giving you these significant symptoms. This can be due to;

1) Herniated/degenerated disc in the neck

2) Cervical spondylosis; bone spurs in the neck vertebrae pressing on the nerves.

Following investigations would be required;

1) X-ray of the neck spine

2) MRI of the neck

3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study

4) Electromyography (EMG)

Following measures would be helpful;

1) Neck care in the activities of daily living.

a) No working on the computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch. Same for TV.

b) Monitors and televisions exactly in front (180 degrees).

c) Contour pillow: Should fill the hollow when lying on back or straight. Available over the counter.

2) Cervical Collar or Brace

3) Cervical traction

4) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen

5) Some physicians do give oral steroids in severe radiculopathy cases, in which pain/numbness/tingling is quite significant.

6) Physical therapy: gradually increasing exercises from passive stretching to active against resistance regime.

7) Electrotherapy in the form of TENS, interferential and laser, and ultrasound.

8) Hot fomentation

9) Local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

You can consult the following specialists;

a) Orthopedist

b) Neurologist

c) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation

I am glad for the opportunity to answer your question.

I hope this interaction is helpful to you.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.