Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

Problem with my nails, no, Yes

Customer Question

Problem with my nails
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Yes
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 17 days ago.

Good day to you,
Thank you for trusting Just Answer. I am Dr, Gupta. I'm board-certified with over 20 years experience. I have been reviewing your concern and I very much would like to help. The computer system will generate a phone call request if that is something you would like to consider as well. Otherwise, I am happy to chat with you here too.
Your medical concerns are quite appropriate in the current situation.
I will be answering them in the next few minutes,
Kind regards,

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 17 days ago.

Good day to you,
I would like you to provide me with more information about your exact problem and your age and any relevant medical history so that I can assist,
Warm regards

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Can I have a phone call please.
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 17 days ago.

Sure,

It costs extra and is a paid feature,

You can click on the Premium Service button and ask for a phone call,

Warm regards

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 17 days ago.

Let me know the details of your case in the mean time so that I can assist,

Warm regards

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No it’s ok. My nail is getting weaker and I don’t know why, it seems to be coming away from the nail bed a bit. There’s no swelling, no rash, no tingle infection.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Can you help?
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 17 days ago.

I have sent a request for a call if you are interested,

Do you have the problem in 1 nail only, and how long has this been a problem?

And what do you mean by weak nails?

Any treatment that you have taken for this?
Warm regards

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 14 days ago.

Good day to you,
I have been reviewing your concern and I very much would like to help. Without the information I request, however, I can only give you a general answer, I sincerely ***** ***** helps. If you have any follow up questions, please reply here and I'll be happy to assist you.

Onycholysis is the separation of a fingernail or toenail from its pink nail bed. The separation occurs gradually and is painless.

The most common cause of onycholysis is trauma. Even slight trauma can cause onycholysis when it happens repetitively — for example, the daily tapping of long fingernails on a keyboard or counter. Onycholysis also can be caused by manicure tools that are pushed beneath the nail to clear dirt or smooth the nail. Too much moisture also can cause the problem.

Some medical conditions can cause onycholysis, generally by changing the nail's shape or the contour of the soft tissue bed beneath it. In these situations, the nail cannot attach smoothly to the nail bed.

• Fungal infections of the nails thicken the tissue immediately underneath the nail plate and cause edge of the nail to lift.
  • Certain skin conditions, including allergic reactions and psoriasis are common causes of onycholysis.
  • After exposure to some medicines (notably medicines from the psoralen, tetracycline or fluoroquinolone groups) the nail can react to sun exposure by lifting away from its bed.
  • An overactive thyroid gland and iron deficiency are two other medical conditions that are associated with onycholysis.
  • Working with your fingers or toes in a wet environment

Treatment for onycholysis depends on the cause of the problem:

• Treatment for hyperthyroidism and iron deficiency can permit the nails to regrow normally.
  • Some treatments for psoriasis that are given by mouth may improve nail health.
  • Oral prescription medicines are available to treat fungal nail infections. However, they have potential side effects, can be costly and are not always covered by insurance.

Onycholysis is not an urgent problem and can be discussed with your doctor during a routine visit.

You can read more about this problem here

https://www.drugs.com/health-guide/onycholysis.html

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer. I hope I have given you a satisfactory answer. If you have any follow up questions, please reply here and I'll be happy to assist you.
Warm Regards,