M Javid, MD
M Javid, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  American Board of Internal Medicine Certification in Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
28778822

Upper left abdominal pain, normal endoscopy but feels like

Customer Question

Upper left abdominal pain, normal endoscopy but feels like gastritis (had it 9 years ago) no idea whats going on
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: 6 months eating makes it worse nothing makes it better
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Had galbladder removed 9 years ago, had a mrcp a few months ago to check my bile ducts all normal, normal bloods only slightly elevated bilirubin. Normal endoscopy but horrible upper left pain feels stingy
Expert:  M Javid, MD replied 21 days ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer, I'm Dr. Javid, and I'll assist you today.

I need a bit more information to better answer you.

How old are you?

Do you have any other medical conditions?

Please ignore any phone call requests, I am not sending them.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Im 35, i have polycystic ovarian syndrome.

I would suggest the following if not already done:

1. Testing for celiac disease with blood tests like ttG IgA and IgA levels.

2. Considering sphincter of Oddi dysfunction (even though some investigations have been done, that could diagnose it, sometimes an ERCP is needed)

3. A CT scan of the abdomen with intravenous contrast.

4. Testing for H. pylori (such as a stool antigen)

5. 4 weeks of PPI therapy (with omeprazole/esomeprazole/pantoprazole for example).

Correction: 4 weeks of PPI therapy.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I had a celiac disease test about 3 years ago, would SOD not be located on the right hand side? The pain im getting is right over on the left and feels exactly like gastritis, H pylori was ruled out from biopsy taken when the endoscopy was done. Ive tried omeprazole and lansoprozole, no help at all

You can get epigastric pain, though you are right, it's not on the left usually.

If everything is negative, then IBS (irritable bowel) would need to be considered.

If you did not respond to PPIs and the endoscopy was negative, then you can effectively rule out gastritis.

Have you had a CT scan of the abdomen?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok thank you i just feel pretty miserable at the moment and worried its all in my head even though im having real pain! I haven't had a ct scan, I'll ask my consultant to consider that.

You can have left-sided pain due to many conditions that could be picked up on CT scan. Such as kidney stones, ovarian cysts, inflammation of the tubes, endometriosis, diverticulosis, inflammation of the large bowel (which is a mobile structure).

If this has not been done, then it should.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Its very high up though, stomach height if that makes sense

"In your head" is actually the last diagnosis to be considered.....but not before everything else has been checked.

The location is unusual, true, however, sometimes pain can be referred to a location different from the actual site.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok thanks so much

I hope that test will help with your diagnosis.

Thank you for allowing me to assist, and I wish you all the best.

Please complete a positive answer rating, thanks.