Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

My wife just had a miscarriage, she also suffers with panic

My wife just had a miscarriage, she also suffers with panic attacks, and anxiety the past few days shes crying thinking she's going to die I really wish she would get some help as I am very concerned about her
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: The anxiety and panic attackswere under control the post few weeks now she has got worse won't eat won't sleep
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: She had a miscarriage last week
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
She is also suffering very bad headaches
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
She's taking Xanax which shut work for anymore and blood pressure tablets
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
She's s hypochondriac. So she thinks she has every disease

Miscarriage can cause significant physical and mental issues and it may take some time to come to terms with. She would need a lot of support and counseling for some duration. Xanax does help in anxiety, panic, and sleep but medications can cause dependence and she should gradually taper this off.

Cognitive-behavioral therapy/counseling should help her in the short and long term.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you for replying

You are very welcome.

A major component of therapy involves understanding and assuring that the symptoms are neither from a serious medical condition nor from a mental deficiency but rather from a chemical imbalance in the fight or flight response. Alprazolam (Xanax) has been widely used for panic disorder, but it is currently discouraged because of its higher dependence potential. Ideally, Xanax should be tapered off very gradually in 3-4 weeks time, so a precipitation or rebound panic attack is avoided. CBT helps to understand how automatic thoughts and false beliefs/distortions lead to exaggerated emotional responses, such as anxiety and panic, and how they can lead to secondary behavioral consequences. Cognitive restructuring involves substituting positive thoughts and getting rid of negative thoughts. Some studies have suggested that high importance to religion and religious practices also improve anxiety/panic symptoms and prevent recurrences.

Wishing her a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Thank you.

Stay blessed.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Can you tell me why. When she lies down her head it feels like her head is floating in the air and Her body is shaking all the time

These symptoms are typical of anxiety and panic.

These do not have a physical (organic) origin.