Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have been having pain in the front of my neck near and

I have been having pain in the front of my neck near and below my thyroid for some weeks. Last week my GP checked my neck and could find no lumps. I had a CT scan on my neck in August as my thyroid is off centre. I just can't stop worrying about it and every time it hurts I prod my neck. I also worry that I have tiny little burps just in my throat. If not for the burps I had tried to convince myself it is muscular as I have been having pain in my neck and shoulders.
JA: Have you used any medication for the pain?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. What did you discuss at your last visit to the doctor?
Customer: She said no lumps in my neck.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Well I am under the mental health team for chronic health anxiety

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

It sounds like muscular or anxiety can be the cause.

Touching or palpating the neck, again and again, can cause this as well.

I would suggest taking Ibuprofen 600mf twice a day for 2 days and massage the area gently with warm olive oil and most likely it will improve.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you. I will be happy to help you if you have any other questions in the future.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you. That is reassuring. Do you think the burping is significant?

That can be due to anxiety as well.

Ginger and peppermint tea and antacid like Gaviscon would help.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Presumably anything sinister would have shown up on the CT scan in August but I worry something has grown since then.

Yes, it would have been picked up then.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you for your help. It is very reassuring.

You are welcome.