Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have a question about breakthrough bleeding, i am 36, i

Hi, I have a question about breakthrough bleeding
JA: How old are you? What symptoms are you having?
Customer: i am 36, i have some light breakthrough bleeding, i am combined pill have been taking it for around a year i just want to check that its ok, its just one incident hasnt happened before
JA: Got it. When was your last smear test or pelvic exam? Any irregular results from past exams?
Customer: i had a smear 2 years ago, due one again next year, never any irregular results
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no

Hi there,
I am an experienced Medical Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Yes this is normal still while on oral contraceptive.

There may be increased vascularity in cervix or upper vault of vagina.

That can sometimes cause light spotting or bleeding from friction or physical activities.

Best wishes,
Please reply back if you need any further clarification.
It was my pleasure to help you today.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I had a UTI in October and had to take anti biotics, I am wondering if perhaps the antibiotic can cause breakthrough bleeding? my concern is that this is not a regular issue and perhaps a one off? Bleeding started last Thursday and is very very light

Yes recent infection and antibiotic use can interfere with contraceptive action resulting in light bleeding.

It can be due to ovulation as well --sometimes ovulation is not suppressed due to above reason.