How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. P. Jyoti Your Own Question
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 11775
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. P. Jyoti is online now

Over the past couple of years I have developed Herberdens

This answer was rated:

Over the past couple of years I have developed Herberdens nodules on two fingers of my right hand. I have noticed these are becoming bigger and more painful and a medic colleague of mine suggested I request a bone scan as they can be a symptom of other problems
JA: Have you used any medication for nodules?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. When was your last doctor visit? What did you discuss?
Customer: My last visit was earlier this year for cystitis. I haven't discussed this particular problem with a doctor before
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No, I am not on any drugs and (touch wood) have been generally very healthy and well throughout my life. I am 70 years old

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.
I’m sorry to hear about your problem. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly.

This is something for which you should show your doctor.

You need to get this checked up.

Heberdens nodes are associated with osteoarthritits and will cause you pain and stiffness in the joints.

Usually they can be confirmed by physical examination alone.

Your doctor may also order Xrays.

CT scans are not usually necessary for this and there is really not many causes of swelling in the joints other than this, your doctor should be able to determine the nature with physical examination alone and perhaps Xrays.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
Please rate the answer 5 stars if you have been helped by the answer to show your acceptance. A bonus is always welcome!
If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you