Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have osteoathritis in the left leg and only walk a few

I have osteoathritis in the left leg and only walk a few paces. Operation not yet recommended Is there anything I can do to relieve the pain Painkillers no use
JA: How long have you been using the painkiller? Has it helped at all?
Customer: very slightly
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about osteoarthritis?
Customer: yes and he as sent me to a physiotherapist very nice man but little progress with excercises
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no in good health generally - good weight excellent bone structure no diabetes

What is your age?

Is it your hip, knee, or ankle joint which is affected?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am 85 but otherwise healthy Problem is in left knee

Thanks for the further information.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5-10 minutes.

Unless you wish to speak in person, you can ignore the request for a phone call - that is automatically generated by the website, not by me.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
sorry I hope I havent pressed the wrong button I dont prefer phone as I am slightly deaf

Advanced osteoarthritis (which means severe pain, night pain, continuous pain) would need total knee replacement. This would relieve the pain. Apart from the analgesic you are taking; following would help you, meanwhile;

1) Physiotherapy; this is the mainstay of the management of the osteoarthritis. Stretching exercises, strengthening exercises, mild weight bearing exercises, swimming on the week-ends etc would be helpful.

2) Deep electrotherapy; this entails going to physical therapy center and take care of specific issues which are more painful.

3) Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements

4) Diacerin too can be tried which suppose to regenerate the cartilage.

5) Local analgesic sprays

6) Gentle massage

7) Consideration of hyaluronic acid injection in the joint. Some physician may inject steroid too for the pain relief.

8) Warm shower in morning would open up the joint.

9) Capsaicin (Zostrix, ArthriCare) is an irritant derived from chili peppers that provide relief by depleting a chemical that transmits pain from nerve endings. Various strengths are available without prescription. (It causes a burning sensation thus one has to be careful while applying and should wear a disposable plastic glove).

10) Acupuncture; most popular forms of alternative or complementary medicine, particularly for pain relief.

11) Analgesic patches too are available for the pain relief.

These are the exercise resources for the knee. You can pick the exercises which suits you;

http://bigkneepain.com/knee-exercises.html

http://www.pamf.org/sports/king/kneerehab.html

If overweight is an issue; long term is achieved by weight reduction. High impact exercises should be avoided; like kneeling and bending. These supplements help in rebuild the cartilage;

1) Omega-3 fatty acids, such as fish oil,
2) SAMe (s-adenosyl-L-methionine), 600 mg daily.
3) Glucosamine/chondroitin, 1,500 mg daily.
4) Bromelain, 250 mg twice a day.

Following herbs are suppose to be good;

1) Ginger
2) Cat's claw
3) Willow bark
4) Turmeric
5) Devil's claw

To summarize: Following measures would be helpful in knee osteoarthritis;

1) Knee care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending pain cycle.

a) Avoid prolonged standing or walking or sitting with joint in a single position.

b) whenever you sit, keep the knee stretched and fold them intermittently.

c) Squatting, sitting cross legged should not be done.

d) Avoid climbing stairs.

e) Avoid sitting legs unsupported or hanging.

f) Reduce weight if over weight/obese.

2) Rest: Taking a break from your normal activities reduces repetitive strain on your knee, gives the time to heal and helps prevent further damage.

3) Anti-inflammatory medications

4) Physiotherapy; the goal of physical therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your knee and help you regain knee stability. Ideal is supervised physical therapy. Stretching exercises are also part of the physical therapy regime.

5) Orthotics and bracing

I am glad for the opportunity to answer your question.

I hope this interaction is helpful to you.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.