Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

When may my NHS Dentist do constructive surgery as opposed

When may my NHS Dentist do constructive surgery as opposed to destructive i.e. extractions? The Dental Practice says they are not allowed to make appointments for dental check-ups - is this true? I am an ex GP aged 91 and think an inspection is warranted as my teeth are breaking up!!
JA: Have you had any past treatments or tests related to the extractions? If so, what were the results?
Customer: Thank you for replying. I've had 2 extractions during the past year, the 2nd one on the 2nd of August - no follow up but no complications. I have several broken teeth but I have been aware recently of small bits breaking off when chewing, leaving rough surfaces but no pain.
JA: Got it. Have you seen a dentist about the break? How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I haven't seen the dentist about the bits breaking off as I have only been aware of this for the last couple of weeks.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dentist should know?
Customer: No! This dentist has looked after me very efficiently for the past 10 years since I emigrated south from Scotland! He knows my medical history well - I am on Warfarin and have been since 2012 when I had a pulmonary embolic endarterectomy for pulmonary hypertension at Papworth hospital.

You may contact your usual dentist as some surgeries offer emergency dental slots and will provide care if clinically necessary. You can also contact NHS 111, who can put you in touch with an urgent dental service.

Meanwhile, you need calcium and vitamin D supplements (if you are not taking any), which will strengthen the teeth.

I do agree, extractions should be done only if there is no resort. Root canal treatment and placement of crown would be the preferred way of doing even at your age.

I am glad for the opportunity to answer your question.

I hope this interaction is helpful to you.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.