Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I've was recently diagnosed with Coeliac disease and am

I've was recently diagnosed with Coeliac disease and am having my first flare up since being diagnosed. I was never told what to expect during a flare up or what to eat/avoid eating during a flare up. A&E doctor yesterday told me to avoid meat for the next few days, is that to avoid fats, protein or both? Does he just want me to be on a simple carbohydrate diet (he was suggesting things like gluten free bread/pasta)? I had been able to eat meals although feeling sick afterwards, I lost a lot of weight before diagnosis so don't want to lose more weight cutting my diet down too much if I don't need to. If 'm having pasta are there sauce that would be ok to have with it or does it need to bee plain for now? Is high protein low fat food ok? Is fruit ok, it has a lot of sugar in which is easy to absorb but also fibre which isn't.
JA: Have you used any medication for Coeliac disease?
Customer: I'm not on any long term medication but have been prescribed some short term medication for the flare up. Sunday I was prescribed Buscopan for the abdominal pan. I was prescribed Movicol on Tuesday as after the flare up I had gone 4 days without a bowel movement and x-ray showed it was all backed up. The dose appears to have been too strong and resulted in loose bowel movements yesterday so have now been told to stop that. I have been extremely tired the last 2 days and was very lighheaded. Is that normal during a flare up? What symptoms would you expect and what are the warning signs to look out for that something more serious is happening?
JA: The Doctor will be able to answer that. Have you used anything else for this?
Customer: Paracetamol. I've avoided Ibuprofen as I know NSAID's are usually avoided for gastrointestinal issues
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have epilepsy so a little concerned how this may affect how my epilepsy medication is absorbed

Hi there,
I am an experienced Medical Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Celiac disease means gluten intolerance.

First and foremost, you will need to go completely gluten free diet.

I will post a link here to help with that:

https://celiac.org/?https%3A%2F%2Fceliac_org%2Fabout-celiac-disease%2Fsymptoms-assessment-tool%2F&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-rj9BRCAARIsANB_4AAvdXYQo3eYJ9kbmn9T1NzpDuR7-HZtiyhyE2zE5mN7-tLvDSJQZ04aAjdCEALw_wcB

https://www.beyondceliac.org/gluten-free-diet/overview/
Best wishes,
Please reply back if you need any further clarification.
It was my pleasure to help you today.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I had removed gluten from my diet, I check the labels of everything I buy. I am in a house share with people who can eat gluten so I think there must have been something still on the bowl I'd used or the spoon. I was told by A&E to avoid meat the next few days, what is he trying to get me to remove from my diet, fats, protein or both? What symptoms would you expect during a flare up and what are the warning signs something more serious is happening? Will this affect my epilepsy medication?

Mainly fat Protein is not a problem with digestion.

During flare up, you will get abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhea nausea, vomiting, anorexia, sometimes itchy skin rash ( dermatitis herpetiformis).

You may also have reduced absorption due to celiac as they inflame the lining.

This may affect epilepsy medication absorption.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Is fatigue and lightheadedness normal in a flare up? Blood pressure was up 142/75, normally for me systolic is between 110-low20's. Diastolic normally 60's. So doesn't seem like it's due to dehydration.

Yes they can be due to the inflammation and stress

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
What symptoms should I look out for the may suggest I should be seen at the hospital?

Severe pain vomiting, diarrhea dizziness, fever will require hospital