Khizra Naz
Khizra Naz,
Experience:  GP training at St helens and knowsely trust (Acute Worcestershire Hospital Trust, Ul
108331350

I have been having 100 micrograms of selenium since April

I have been having 100 micrograms of selenium since April this year, in preventative response to Covid19. I have just read that the recommended daily limit is 55 micrograms. How likely am I to be in danger of toxicity? I should add that I am breastfeeding a 23 month old
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: N/a at this stage
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have days recently where i feel exhausted. Other symptoms are recurrent pain in arm veins with prominent veins, bad sinus, irritability, less concentration, hair thinning (though that's been gradually happening anyway,since giving birth 23 months ago). None of these symptoms happen every day, only every now and then. I've only experienced the arm thing about 4 times since April (have no experience of this previously)
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: No other swelling. I wonder whether eating Brazil nuts triggers it, considering they're high content of selenium, but haven't been keeping a food diary as I've only just learned about selenium toxicity and so not previously made the correlation

Hello My name is***** will try my best to help you today.

And please ignore any phone requests, these are generated automatically by Just Answer beyond my control.

Do you have selenium deficiency or was you advised this by any doctor?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you. No known deficiency and not directly advised to take it. I read an article by a doctor, advising supplements that could help prevent or lessen the affects of Covid19.

Selenium use to prevent covid is not researched as of now. Secondly this is not a toxic dose for the patients who are deficient, you might already have enough levels so that it might be high in your body.

There is no harm in breast feeding in this condition. I would advise to stop as of now and get selenium checked in your bloods.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
That is reassuring, after what I have been reading about it. I will take your advice and stop taking it until such a time as I have a medically confirmed reason to take it (which hopefully won't happen)
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you and good night ��

Great. That's good.

Can you kindly rate this consult 5, it will be really appreciaed.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Of course :)

Great