Dr.Andrew
Dr.Andrew, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Physician,Doctor, medical consultant
75931320

Possible UTI, I'm not sure I have it, no medication used.

Possible UTI
JA: How long have you had the UTI? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: I'm not sure I have it, no medication used.
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the UTI?
Customer: No
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No

Welcome to the Justanswer website,

I am a Board-Certified Physician with over 15 years of experience.

I'm reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.

Dear customer

I am sorry to hear about your problem but please do not worry. I will try my best to resolve this issue.

Please give me a little more information and I will help you figure out a solution.

May I know your age and gender?

What are your symptoms?

Do you have burning during urination?

Any frequent urge to pee?

(Please feel free to ignore any request for a phone conversation; the request is automated)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello, I have had a little pain near the kidney region, but I am also prone to back pain. To rule out a UTI, I took a home dipstick test. The results were negative leukocytes but trace nitrate. My GP doesn't have any other appointments today, and I don't know if I need to look elsewhere for a prescription, or if the absence of leukocytes means no infection. I am female, 47 years old, no pain during urination or urgency.

Does the test show trace of nitrates or nitrites?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Trace of nitrates

Yes, this may indicate mild urinary tract infection (UTI).

The culprit in at least 90% of uncomplicated urinary tract infections (UTI) is a type of bacteria called Escherichia coli, better known as E. coli.

Other less probable causes are- kidney stones, narrowed urethra, not drinking enough fluids, sexual intercourse.
Most probably and most likely, this is because of UTI/bladder infection.

The following treatment measures are recommended for you now:

-Drink either unsweetened blueberry juice or unsweetened cranberry juice. Try to drink at least 2 to 4 glasses of cranberry juice a day.

-You can take D-Mannose tablets from your pharmacy.

- You can also make this at home: add 1 teaspoon baking soda to a glass of water as it may help ease your infection. The soda neutralizes the acidity in your urine, speeding along with your recovery.

- Drink plenty of fluids and water to flush out the bacteria via urine. I would recommend increasing your water intake to 3 to 3.5 liters per day

All of this should help you greatly to treat the UTI.

I hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

I am available to answer any follow-up questions that you may have, so please feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks so much, so just to clarify, even with the absence of leukocytes, this indicates a possible infection?

Yes, even with the absence of leukocytes, this may indicate a possible UTI.

You can start with the above-described treatment. This is the first line of treatment and should help you greatly.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you,

We can continue here until you are satisfied, use the reply box and let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Great, thanks so much for your treatment suggestions. You have been very helpful!

Dear customer,

Thank you for the words of appreciation and for using the just answer website.

It was my pleasure to assist you today.

If you still have any follow-up questions, please feel free to ask. I am right here to answer you.

I wish you good health and get well soon.