Dr.Andrew
Dr.Andrew, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Physician,Doctor, medical consultant
75931320

I have ringing in my ears, had it for the last few days.

Welcome to the Justanswer website,

I am a Board-Certified Physician with over 15 years of experience.

I'm reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.

Dear customer

I am sorry to hear about your problem but please do not worry. I will try my best to resolve this issue.

Please give me a little more information and I will help you figure out a solution.

May I know your age and gender?

Do you have any known medical illness?

(Please feel free to ignore any request for a phone conversation; the request is automated)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I’m 45, make, 87kgs, 6ft tall. no medical conditions

Dear customer

Thank you for providing the details.

I am now preparing and typing my answer, and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Dear customer,

Thank you for staying online,

I am sorry to hear about your problem, and I can understand how uncomfortable you may be feeling, but hopefully, we can resolve this.

The symptoms you have described of having ringing in ears can be due to various causes.

Ringing & buzzing in ears is medically termed as a condition called tinnitus. The most common cause of this is damage to the hearing nerve's microscopic endings in the inner ear.

Other causes are hearing nerve impairment, wax buildup or foreign objects in the ear canal, ear or sinus infections, exposure to loud noise, and the central nervous system's diseases.

In many cases, it may simply go away on its own. Otherwise, treatment includes anti-anxiety drugs and antidepressants, antihistamines, anticonvulsants, Tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT).

There are various groups of medications used for treating Tinnitus. These are-

1. Neuromuscular-blocking drugs

2. Antidepressants -It includes, Tricyclic antidepressants such as nortriptyline and serotonin reuptake inhibitors

3. Glycine receptor agonists.

Also, Alternative medicine treatments, including ginkgo Biloba, zinc, magnesium, are helpful. Along with this, Cognitive behavior therapy is found to be helpful.

So, my best advice for you is to please make an appointment with your ENT doctor for tests and examination to know the exact underlying cause, and then treatment will be done accordingly.

Please do not worry. There does not seem to be anything serious or dangerous about this condition, and it is treatable with medications accordingly.

I hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

I am available to answer any follow-up questions that you may have, so please feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome! I am glad I was able to help.

If you still have any follow-up questions, please feel free to ask. I am right here to answer you.

I wish you good health and get well soon.