DrVasavada
DrVasavada, Doctor
Experience:  MD(Ped), DCH ; in practice treating adolescent to newborns
16481530

We are unsure if my mums Dvt has broken up and created a

We are unsure if my mums Dvt has broken up and created a Pulmary Embolism or not..... Mum feels fine in herself she's recovering from Covid that she had 6-7 weeks ago. Its just I've noticed that she seems to breath quite heavy through her nose when she's doing things, but denys any chest pain or feeling breathless...
JA: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?
Customer: No shortness of breath
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: She's got blood pressure, she's got a DVT She's border line diabetic and she's just had covid

Hi! I am Dr Saleem. Welcome to JA. I will be answering your query shortly.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you very much

I understand your concern.

Is she taking any blood thinners?

Was it a proximal DVT(above knee)?

What's the heart rate of your mum currently?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
she's on ibersaetan blood thinners her DVT was below the knee on the shin
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Her heart rate when I took it yesterday was 77 BPM I'm not with her at the moment sorry
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not shin sorry.. At the back of the leg
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is on blood pressure medication every other day at the moment
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She also isn't sleeping only 2-3 hours per night

It would be very unlikely to develop pulmonary embolism in this scenario. See a doctor if she gets

• short of breath at rest,
  • gets a sharp chest pain or
  • has heart rate more than 100 persistently.

Hope that helps.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
even though she is taking shallow breaths through her nose and you can hear her breathing heavily it should be fine.
That's good news. I wonder if it's the after effect of Covid making her breathe this way
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She did have a bad pain in her arm the other night it woke her up suddenly so it made me worry of blood clots blocking her lungs because of the breathing too

That is most likely an after effect of covid. With Pulmonary embolism she would have a fast heart rate and significant breathing difficulty at rest. Sharp pain in chest may or may not be there.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can I just ask Dr, would the issue be when sitting down rather than doing things if it was a PE...
Because when she's doing lots she breaths quite heavily but when she stops it calms down.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That is more than helpful doctor thank you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do worry about her over night that she isn't sleeping more than 2-3 hours, I worry about her having high blood pressure over night and the fact that her GP is getting her to take her BP meds every other day.... The pain in her arm came on the night when she didn't have the meds
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But then again it could also be long Covid causing the lack of sleep. She gets nitemares when she sleeps
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You have taken a weight off my shoulders because I was worried we should be getting her checked over because of this breathing deep but would you say that as long as my mum feels well and not got any pain to continue

We see a lot of patients these days who have a slow and somewhat rough recovery from covid. Just keep an eye on the things that I mentioned. If she gets any of that then please don't hesitate to see a doctor.

You're most welcome. Hope she gets better soon.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you see anyone with sleep problems may I ask?

A lot. You can ask your doctor for a mild sedative to help her sleep.

Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience: MBBS
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He's given her a mild one, it's not working but we can try it a few more days. Thank you sincerely ***** ***** help. God bless you

You're most welcome. All the best and may you and your mum have a great new year.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, I've just discovered my dad has accidentally been giving my mum 2 Apixaban tablets twice per day instead of 1 twice per day. Because at first he was told she needed to take 2 twice a day for 7 days but has got in a routeen and carried it on mums been taking double dose for around 4 weeks or more now... She feels well doesn't feel unwell but I noticed that recently she was breathing heavyier through her nose and can be breathless when walking up the stairs a little.
We didn't know if it was the Covid causing this now she's more active.. She had Covid approx 8 week ago.
I was checking when she needed a new prescription of the blood thinners and noticed on the box the instructions. Dad had not read properly.
He is telling GP straight away in the morning. We just wondered are we doing the right thing not giving her the second dose tonight as she's already had two tablets today.
Gemma

Hi Gemma, yes stop the night dose if already 2 given. Also get her ECG, routine and stress tests done for any possible cardiac complication. Post covid, many organs function less afterwards. D-Dimer test can also be done for detecting any thrombosis developing. Good luck.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi there, unfortunately a Pharmacy Dr told us last night to carry on the dosage for twice per day so to take one more tablet tonight before bed. So she has taken that. Hope that's ok, going to speak to Dr in morning
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was someone on here
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hoping that was the right thing to do, so far shes been ok with the tablets on previous days, the other Dr said as long as there's no bleeding she should be fine.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But I'm sure the other Dr will want the tests done
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Her personal Dr

Too much thinner may cause some bleed so watch urine, stool etc. Otherwise it is OK.

DrVasavada, Doctor
Experience: MD(Ped), DCH ; in practice treating adolescent to newborns
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi there, my mum had a GP review and all they did was say....
It's all down to Covid just carry on and it should improve. . No tests at all offered. Mum already has a DVT and feels it more sore since lowering her blood thinners to a normal dose instead of double dose. Do you think Its better to demand these tests done... They seem to think that it's Covid just get on with it all the time. Like they probably don't want people in the hospital and things. It's tricky
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The review was over the phone by the way the Gp gave them hardly no time at all it was all Covid Covid Covid bye
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's all. I'm concerned because they don't test people anymore.

Each one's on one's own so take care.