Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have been taking fluconozole for oral thrush for 7 days

Customer Question

Hi I have been taking fluconozole for oral thrush for 7 days and it has not gone. My throat is now starting to become sore.
JA: How long have you been using fluconazole? Has it helped at all?
Customer: 7 days, the course finished on Monday. There has been a very slight improvement in the appearance of my tongue. However, it is still white in appearance and now my throat is sore. I still have a bad taste in my mouth but I have an infected wisdom tooth and an abcess that I'm waiting to have taken out, so this could be where the bad taste is coming from. I have had the symptoms of the thrush since before xmas and have tried an oral thrush gek but it did not work so I was prescribed fluconazole
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about thrush?
Customer: I haveb't seen them, just 2 x telephone consultations. After they prescribed the gel I had to have a blood test to check my liver was ok before they would prescribe the fluconazole, the blood test was normal
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 15 days ago.

Hi there,
I am an experienced Medical Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
The diagnosis needs to be questions since thrush should have been cured by now.

Acid reflux can be a common cause for such symptoms.

Do you notice any white spots?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No white sports, I was initially prescribed Lansoprazole as I did have acid reflux. I finished the course, which stopped the acid reflux but my tongue still remained the same, and the bad taste.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 15 days ago.

You will need to continue lansoprazole for 3 months at least as these are likely acid reflux related symptoms.