Dr.sOrders
Dr.sOrders, Doctor
Experience:  Has been serving the Beverly Hills community for over 20 years.
21747962

How can I get rid of a tension headache - I need to travel

Customer Question

How can I get rid of a tension headache - I need to travel tomorrow morning to the USA and I'm really suffering from a severe headache
JA: How long have you had the headache? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: It's years that I have such headaches when I'm stressed - No medication was used so far
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the headache?
Customer: Long time ago
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Well, some times I suffer from slight disassociation
Expert:  Dr.sOrders replied 15 days ago.

A variety of medications, both OTC and prescription, are available to reduce the pain of a headache, including:

• Pain relievers. Simple OTC pain relievers are usually the first line of treatment for reducing headache pain. These include the drugs aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) and naproxen (Aleve).

Prescription medications include naproxen (Naprosyn), indomethacin (Indocin) and ketorolac (Ketorolac Tromethamine).

• Combination medications. Aspirin or acetaminophen or both are often combined with caffeine or a sedative drug in a single medication. Combination drugs may be more effective than are single-ingredient pain relievers. Many combination drugs are available OTC.