How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35276
Experience:  MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now

Who do I talk to if I'm worried about a lump in my neck? I

Customer Question

Who do I talk to if I'm worried about a lump in my neck?
JA: What are all your symptoms? Have you talked to a doctor about the lump?
Customer: I have not yet no
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the lump?
Customer: No
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have sometimes had random gagging / throat tightness over the past few years, before I noticed the lump - I noticed it in November 2020 but wasn't sure at the time if it was new. I smoke a lot.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 13 days ago.

Hi there,
I am an experienced Medical Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Which part of the neck is the lump located?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
High up under the jaw bone
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Left side
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Lymph node area
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It does move when I push on it - a friend had a look once and said it was a swollen lymph node but that was four months ago
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry I know this is nothing to go off but I'm feeling worried and sorting out an appointment to see someone to refer me to a specialist would take ages for logistical reasons
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 13 days ago.

Ok this can be a lymph node or a salivary gland cyst given the location.

You should see a ENT specialist for further evaluation.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 13 days ago.