Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

I have a issue I've been dealing with for 3 months now and

Customer Question

Hi, I have a issue I've been dealing with for 3 months now and I'm not sure what it exactly is
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Nope I haven't and I'm not taking any medications
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I don't take any
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: There is nothing else
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 17 days ago.

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani. I have 16 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I am currently reviewing your question.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi, I think I might have a minor neck tic

Can you upload a short video clip please?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No I can't, the head shake isn't noticeable to others but I can feel it move my head a little
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
My diet is bad, I do have anxiety now and then, I've also been smoking alot and drinking coke on my breaks but I stopped smoking 3 weeks ago.. I have less sleep so I don't know what to do

Have any onlookers told you about this?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
others can't notice it but i can feel my head move to the left slightly
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
What can i do to stop this?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Is it something really bad?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
hello?

I am typng

1. May I know your age and gender please?

2. Do these disappear during sleep?

3. Did you observe them getting aggravated during stressful situations?

4. Are there any sudden jerky movements of the hands?

5. Do you make any abnormal sounds during these movements?

6. Did you have any streptoccal sore throat before all this started?

7. Are you able to control them when you are asked or try to stop it?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
21 and male.. I think they disappear during sleep.. When i am abit of anxiety that's when it can show up more.. there are no jerky movements of the hands.. I don't make any sounds during this.. I think i had a sore throat way before this started but it wasn't major.. I can feel it about to happen and it makes a small unnoticeable movement

I ma typing.

Thank you for getting back with the requested necessary information.

From your symptom analysis and correlating it with the history that I have gathered from you I feel that this could be a "TIC DISORDER".

Tics are repeated, individually recognizable, intermittent movements or movement fragments that are almost always briefly suppressible and are usually associated with awareness of an urge to perform the movement. Tics manifest as sudden, brief intermittent movements (motor tics) or utterances (vocal or phonic tics).

Tics cease during sleep.

Although tics can be voluntarily controlled for short periods of time, it is difficult to suppress tics for sustained periods of time.

Transient tics last less than one year, whereas most with childhood-onset tics continue to have tics or have recurrence of the tics several years later. Persistent motor and phonic tics are features of Tourette syndrome.

Secondary causes should be considered in individuals in whom tics begin abruptly, are persistent, or are particularly problematic. Secondary causes of tics include the use of stimulant medications (dopaminergic agonists). Another potential but controversial cause is pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorder associated with group A streptococci (PANDAS).

The list of medications are numerous - but not everything works for everyone and you need to work in concurrence with your PCP and neurologist to get good results.

• Guanfacine.
  • Clonidine.
  • Topiramate.
  • Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors.
  • Botulinum toxin injections and oral baclofen.
  • Tetrabenazine.
  • Benzodiazepines.
  • Levetiracetam.

Transient tics occur in otherwise normal people and spontaneously remit in a few weeks or months. This condition occurs in less than 10 percent of normal people. Most with simple motor tics do not require treatment.

May I suggest you discuss these possibilities with her primary care physician or neurologist and get her appropriately evaluated and managed please.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you today!

Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you in this regard please. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Is it something to be worried about?
No, not at all.
Majority of such motor tics are transient and they settle down by themselves.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.

I think it's because I struggle to sleep that's why it started, some days I'm up all night and sleep through the day and when I used to work I would go to work without any sleep and working 12 hour shifts.

I am sorry for that - but sleeplessness can cause this.