M Javid, MD
M Javid, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  American Board of Internal Medicine Certification in Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
28778822

I have had a pain in my shoulder blade that started about a

Customer Question

I have had a pain in my shoulder blade that started about a month ago. At the beginning I couldn't tilt my had down without intense pain. Now the pain has shifted more toward my upper arm, almost like a shooting pain at times. I was hoping this would go away in time but seems to get worse. Can you please advise what I should do.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: I haven't noticed swelling. I feel like sitting down at a desk for a long time is making it worse. Standing Up and working seems to give me less pain
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
Expert:  M Javid, MD replied 9 days ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer.

I'm Dr. Javid, and I'll assist you today.

You may have a pinched nerve in the cervical spine.

To check for this, you need to have an exam, in which they check power, sensations, and reflexes, and then an imaging study like an MRI of the cervical spine.

Of course for all this, you will need to go to your GP.

At home what you can try is the application of hot packs, a good balm (like Tiger balm), and NSAIDs (like ibuprofen).

I hope this helps?

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.