Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have an endoscopy (ogd) on Tuesday to rule out barrett's

Customer Question

I have an endoscopy (ogd) on Tuesday to rule out barrett's oesophogus and check that everything is OK. I was only booked in on Tuesday and take daily 20mg omeprazole as well as gaviscon dual action 2 tablets a night. I am paying for the procedure. I was just reading up about the procedure and it says online I shouldn't be taken any ppis ahead of the procedure but I haven't been told any of this. I was literally booked in last minute as a cancellation but don't want this to mean I don't get the right results or they miss anything. Will things like cancer etc be missed because of this medication and /or diagnoses of barrett's oesophogus or is it more they can't diagnose specific acid reflux diseases because the acid is reduced. Thanks for any advice. I just want to determine its worth proceeding or whether I should reschedule and have time to get the medication out of my system. Thank you
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 9 days ago.

Hi there,
I am an experienced Medical Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Omeprazole is used to treat Barrett's esophagus.

Hence, it use may cause missed diagnosis due to changes in epithelium.

Regarding cancer lesion, omeprazole will not affect the findings.

Omeprazole will also mask the H pylori infection --can be false negative test.

Usually 2 week wash out by stopping PPI is recommended before endoscopy.